Grace Darling


'Think of those poor people, alone on that rook. We live on a lighthouse - it's our job!'


 

This is the true story of Grace Darling - a girl who became a famous heroine on a stormy night. On the afternoon of 6th September in 1838, the steamship Forfarshire began its journey from Hull to Dundee, in Scotland. There were 60 people on the Forfarshire, which was a big, comfortable, modern ship. There was a strong, north-east wind that afternoon, but at first no one was afraid. However, the wind was getting stronger and all the time the big gray waves lifted the Forfarshire up and down, and white water blew over the deck so the engine  broke down! The ship was broken in two because very big waves hit it. Grace saw many people have drowned so she and her father decided to save them. She was afraid of rescuing people in the raging weather but she was happy and excited too. She thought this is what God wants me to do.


After I read this book, I was really impressed by her great bravery. Now, I'm almost as same as her age, but I can't do such a dangerous behavior because I want to live longer. So, I thought she was a wonderful woman who tried to help other people even at her own risk.

コメント